Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Read Together -- 2009



Jennifer at Snapshot is sponsoring the Read Together 2009 challenge to encourage us to connect and spend time with our children through reading. I think this is a great challenge and I'm excited to set goals for each of the kids.

Z Man (9 yrs old, 3rd grade)
We used to read together everyday but lately I have let him read on his own. He still needs my help and reading isn't his favorite thing because he struggles with it, but he has been enjoying the Diary of a Wimpy Kid. We started reading Dragon Rider together but I think the size of the book discourages him. Our goal is to continue with Dragon Rider and also continue the Third Grade Detectives series that we started. He really like the detective series, he enjoyed the secret codes and the fact that we could finish it in a short period of time.

Princess Izzybee (6 yrs old, 1st grade)
We read together everyday although it is the daily school books she brings home and the AR books that she takes tests on. I just checked out a cute series at the library titled Katie Lynn Cookie Company; The Secret Ingredient. We are going to start it this week and read the other cute books in this series along with her other AR reading.

Doodle (2 yrs old)
I have really slacked in my reading with the Doodle. She has become more and more interested in looking at books and pretending that she is reading. My goal is spend at least 15 minutes reading with her everyday.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like worthy and managable goals!

Trish @ Another Piece of the Puzzle said...

The detective comment made me think of the Encyclopedia Brown books I read as a child; I wonder if they are still around anywhere??

Great list of goals - good luck!