Sunday, February 1, 2009

Words Kids Need to Hear



I have been reading the book Words Kids Need to Hear and there are many good suggestions in this book. Chapter 3 is titled "I Treasure You" and I loved a family's idea to show attention for accomplishments in a healthy, memorable way. The author shares a simple idea that can make a profound impact on the way members of a family celebrate one another. They call it the victory candle and it's a simple concept.

Soon after a specific and significant achievement by someone in the family, start a meal with a lit candle on the table. Turn off the lights, any by the glow of the victory candle raise your glasses of milk, water or whatever to toast the person and his or her feat. That person then enjoys the honor of blowing our the candle at the end of the meal. Record the event in a special victory candle journal. Over many years, entries could inclue awards won, first teeth lost, faith milestones reached, academic and sports achievements, acts of bravery, and even workplace accomplishments.

By creating a standard ritual, everyone recieves the same celebration. The result: the person feels pesonally celebrated--the accomplichment itself remains secondary. Long after the candle extinguishes, the victory candle's warm glow of attention continues. Imagine reading the victory candle journal through the years and reliving the moments and memories. When done well, the "I am treasured" feeling transcends time.

I loved this idea and we are going to start doing. I will share our first victory candle celebration hopefully soon.

2 comments:

Patty said...

That is a great idea, I am not sure Brian would go along with something like that though. He would much rather go out to the movies or to dinner.

Amanda said...

I LOVE this idea! In fact I too might do this and I think I might buy the book and read it.