Sunday, September 30, 2007

General Relief Society Meeting

I had not planned on attending the General Relief Society Meeting last night. I didn't know if R would be home from work in time and I didn't make arrangements for a babysitter. I planned on watching it on TV later in the evening like I did last year. Our stake was having a dinner at 5:00pm before the broadcast. R got home about 4:35pm. At 4:40pm a friend in the ward called to see if I was going and we could go together, I decided to go with her. I cleaned up in 10 minutes and she came and picked me up.

I am so glad I went to the broadcast instead of watched in on TV. I think I got more from the live session than if I had watched in at home. I felt the spirit and loved the message of the meeting.

Sister Beck spoke on being strong and immovable in faith, family and relief. I liked her quote from President Hinckley, "do the best you can, but do your very best."

Sister Allred spoke on visiting teaching. She reminded us that the Relief Soceity was created for 2 reasons, to relieve the poor and save souls. I didn't think to invite my visiting teaching sisters but I'm happy that I ran into one at the dinner and sat with her.

Sister Thompson spoke on families and about what is happening to our families today and things we could do to help our families.

President Monson gave us three guidelines for help: Sudy diligently, Pray earnestly and serve willingly.

I am excited to hear general conference next week.

No comments: