Saturday, December 8, 2007

Saturday Snow


It rained most of the day yesterday and finally started snowing last night and snowed throughout the night. Work radioed R about 4:20am that they needed help so he shoveled the driveway and sidewalks for me. I just love the snow when I am inside looking out the window and I don't have to go anywhere. While it's snowing, especially at night it's just so peaceful and beautiful.

The kids and I watched Polar Express on the ABC Family Channel last night. I love this movie (and I think I left it off my favorite Holiday Movies List). The story is so cute and find myself getting just as excited as the kids when the elves are singing "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and he appears in the doorway.

We are planning to go family Christmas shopping today so the kids can get each other gifts and then go see Santa. Last year with a new baby and everything I dropped the ball on taking the kids to see Santa and Christmas Eve Z reminded us that he had not seen Santa and he was devestated. So Sunday morning (Christmas Eve) R starts calling around to see how long Santa was at the different mall locations and at Gateway Mall he was supposed to be there until 5:00pm. R was going to take the kids to Gateway Mall instead of church but I said church is more important Christmas Eve then Santa but since church was out at 4:00pm they could leave right from church to the mall and still make it in time which is what they did. They were there by 4:30pm but Santa had already left and Z was so sad. R talked to the mall kid to at least ask for Santa's phone number but the kid didn't get what R was trying to do and said "I don't have his phone number." R was like, "You know, can I have his phone number in the North Pole?" thinking the kids would be at least a little okay if they could talk to Santa on the phone but the dense mall kid never understood what R was trying to do. R finally got a hold of a friend who agreed to be Santa on the phone and when the kids got home they called Santa and told him what they wanted and this made them happy. This year I just want to get the to Santa early enough that this won't be a problem again.

Last year we also didn't listen very well to what Z wanted for Christmas. On Friday before Christmas he drove to our house with our friend/boss Trent and all the way to our house told him how he wanted a Snowcone Machine from Santa. When Trent told me this I called R and said he spent 15 minutes telling Trent about a snowcone machine that Santa isn't bringing him. I called around and stopped by the Bountiful stores to find a snowcone machine but there were none in stock anywhere. R spent a good part of Saturday driving to speciality kitchen stores in Salt Lake to find a snowcone machine and of course he was successful but what a pain. This year I'm hoping I am listening to the kids better. It's hard because at Christmas time they want everything and I'm trying to simplify this year.

Well, I hope we have a fun family day, snow and all. I'm sure we'll eat lunch or dinner somewhere yummy and we are going to take the kids to see Enchanted.

No comments: